If your business has a corporate or enterprise license for Marketing Cloud, and you aren’t using Einstein Engagement Scoring, you are missing a big opportunity to boost your email marketing and improve the return on investment (ROI) of your Marketing Cloud instance.
The good news is that with a corporate or enterprise license, you automatically have access to Einstein Engagement Scoring. Even if your license isn’t corporate or enterprise level, you can still gain access to this tool by purchasing it as an add-on.
This tool is powerful — it uses artificial intelligence (AI) to provide advanced segmentation that other email tools don’t offer. An estimated less than 5% of all email marketers use Engagement Scoring, so using this tool will give you a significant edge over the competition.
Here’s how you can get the most out of Engagement Scoring to save time, improve the ROI of your marketing automation, and elevate your email marketing efforts.
What is Einstein Engagement Scoring?
Einstein Engagement Scoring draws on the data from all of your past email campaigns to segment your subscribers based on how they engage with your emails. This allows you to send targeted email messaging to different subscribers, in order to maximize engagement and conversions. Engagement Scoring assigns scores for each subscriber’s likelihood to stay subscribed, open an email, or click links within your email.
Based on the historical behavior of your subscribers, Einstein Engagement Scoring segments your subscriber list into four useful categories:
- Loyalists – subscribers who are most likely to open your emails and click on the links within them
- Window Shoppers – subscribers who are likely to open your emails, but unlikely to click on the links within
- Selective Shoppers – subscribers who are unlikely to open your emails, but when they do open, are very likely to click on the links within
- Win-back/Dormant – subscribers who are unlikely to open or click on your emails and do not engage with your emails much/at all
Because the scores are dependant on actions your subscribers have taken, the AI won’t be able to score your subscribers if you haven’t sent them any emails yet. You’ll get the most out of Einstein Engagement Scoring if you begin using it after 4-6 months of sending email campaigns within Marketing Cloud. This will give the tool enough data to provide you with robust and accurate segments.
What Can You Do With This Information?
When you have identified these four types of subscribers, you can customize email marketing for each group. Start by setting individual goals for each segment and tailor the messaging they receive based on what will resonate most with that group. You can even develop different drip nurture campaigns for each segment to guide subscribers toward actions you want them to take — such as opening more emails, visiting your website, or downloading specific pieces of content.
This helps you make the most of your marketing spend — and your time. One group might get emails from your company every week, while another group gets an email once a month. You may put budget towards targeted ads or SMS pushes for the group where they are likely to have the most impact; while skipping these tactics for those less likely to engage with them.
Engagement Scoring is expected to become even smarter. While attending Connections 2018, we heard about plans for this same tool to help you predict when to send emails to each segment based on previous open/click times of those subscribers.
Customizing your email campaigns for each segment will greatly increase the ROI of your email marketing efforts. For example, one e-commerce company that reoriented their email marketing around engagement scores saw a 23% increase in email clicks and a 30% increase in their open rate.
Here are some best practices for setting goals and personalizing messaging for each segment:
- Loyalists — amp up the call-to-action (CTA). These subscribers are already clicking on the emails you send, so make sure what they click leads them to a compelling CTA. Whether it’s a landing page, a contact form, or a piece of insightful content, offer value and a strong CTA that encourages them to convert on your desired goal.
- Window Shoppers — increase the click rate. These subscribers open your emails, but rarely find the content interesting or compelling enough to click through. Experiment with techniques to encourage them to click more often. Test out different messaging, shorter (or longer) email copy, a different CTA, or changing the look of your button.
- Selective Shoppers — increase the open rate. If you can catch this group’s attention enough to compel them to open your email, they’re likely to engage with the content within. For these subscribers, focus on subject lines. Test different lengths, voices, and tones for your subject lines. Look at past emails that received high open rates — what was compelling about the subject line?
- Dormant — re-engage. These subscribers need to be nurtured into engaging with your emails by seeing the value you offer. A re-engagement campaign requires unique messaging. Subject lines should be intriguing to prompt subscribers to open, but the content within shouldn’t be a hard sell.
How to Use Your Engagement Data in Journey Builder
Einstein Engagement Scoring makes it easy to not only segment your subscribers but also to build customized email strategies for each segment. With the click of a button, your four segments can be imported into Journey Builder. Here’s how you do it:
1. Open your Journey Builder and create a new journey.
2. Define the Entry Source (who will get these emails).
3. In the lefthand column of options, choose “Einstein Split.”
4. Choose “Persona Split” as the type of split.
Once you’ve selected Persona Split, Journey Builder will automatically split your email campaign into five paths: one for each engagement category and a fifth path called “Remainder” — these are subscribers for which there isn’t enough data to categorize (likely your recent subscribers). You can leave Remainder as a standalone path, or use the “Join” option to merge the Remainder category into one of the other paths, as it’s likely they can benefit from the same strategy you use for another group.
Now, you can craft a personalized journey in Journey Builder for each segment. You can tailor the number and frequency of emails, subject lines and body content, targeted ads, and more to resonate best with each group. Journey Builder even allows you to pull Salesforce actions into the journey. For instance, if a subscriber downloads two pieces of content in a row, you may automatically increase their lead score or trigger a Salesforce action that tasks a salesperson to call the subscriber.
For best results, always conduct A/B testing to see what works well for each segment. Within your marketing automation, you can A/B test nearly every aspect of your emails including subject lines, email length, and button colors or sizes. Dig into your data and analytics often to see what’s going well and what can be improved. Make changes and monitor the results to see what gets better responses from your audience.
Don’t Leave This Powerful Tool Unopened
As a robust marketing automation solution that leverages artificial intelligence, Marketing Cloud has the capability to boost productivity, ROI, and revenue; yet many businesses miss out on the full power of this technology simply because they aren’t aware of its features.
Using Einstein Engagement Scoring is a no-brainer, especially if it’s already included in your existing Marketing Cloud instance. All it takes is the click of a button to turn on this powerful AI tool and take your email marketing to the next level.
Not sure if you have Engagement Scoring already? Want more direction on how to use it or what types of email messaging to send to your segmented subscribers? Reach out to RelationEdge, your full-service partner for marketing automation and strategy. Our team of marketing automation experts will help you set up and access all of the robust features of your Marketing Cloud solution. If you need help with email strategy, our email marketing specialists will partner with you to build strategies for each of your segments, produce compelling emails, and monitor the results of your campaigns. Thanks to AI tools like Engagement Scoring, you can personalize the consumer journey and watch your open rates — and your ROI — soar.